Asparagus is back in season and one thing’s for sure, Spring is the perfect time to make the most of this deliciously healthy vegetable. I always opt for organic Asparagus when I can get it. And especially for this dish as the flavours are so clean and simple that it deserves the best quality produce. Also, when you are working with so few ingredients, it’s important to make sure they are of the highest quality.
Crunchy Lemon Asparagus
- 1-2 bunches of medium sized asparagus, about 500g
- 2 Tbsp of the most exquisite extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest – freshly grated lemon rind
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse your asparagus thoroughly, and break off any tough, white bottoms and discard.
- Cut into 1 to 2 inch sections, slicing the asparagus at a slight diagonal.
- Fill a medium sized saucepan halfway with water, bring to a boil.
- Add the asparagus and reduce heat slightly to a simmer.
- Parboil the asparagus for exactly 2 minutes. No longer or you will overcook.
- Drain the hot water.
- While the asparagus are still hot, toss them in a bowl with the olive oil, Parmesan, and lemon rind.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or room temperature.
- Sit and eat.
Wine Pairing – Bald Hills Last Light Central Otago Riesling 2009
Less sweet compared to many Rieslings, this drop is a lanolin and floral-scented delight. Marmalade and toast flavours, together with a mineral finish make this the perfect accompaniment to any vegetarian dish.
We think this spring and summer with see a resurgence in the popularity of Rieslings as they become more on trend.