This salad is like spring on a plate! Fresh Strawberries and Asparagus which are in season right now, mixed in with one of the most nutrient rich grains you can buy. Not to mention is it delicious and also gluten free!
Strawberry and Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced into rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 2 cm lengths
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp Manuka honey (or other sweetener)
- 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt & pepper
- Rinse quinoa and place into a medium pot.
- Add 1.5 of water and bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat to low-medium, cover with tight-fitting lid, and cook for 15 minutes until fluffy and all the water is absorbed.
- Fluff with fork, remove from heat, and let sit covered for 6 minutes.
- While your quinoa is steaming, grab a very large heavy based pan or wok.
- Sauté the leek and garlic in the oil for about 4-5 minutes over medium heat until leek is soft. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add in the chopped asparagus and sauté for another 5-10 minutes but make sure the asparagus is still a bit crisp.
- Stir in the strawberries and peas, and parsley. Heat for a 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients (olive oil, lemon juice, Manuka Honey, and 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt) to taste.
- Pour dressing on to mixture and stir in the cooked quinoa and rocket.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper & enjoy!
- For extra crunch add some sliced almonds on top.
Think apple and peach! This elegant Central Otago Pinot Gris is perfectly suited to summer salads, Matched with the sweet pea’s and strawberries in this dish, it’s refreshing and balanced. Search well chilled.