Don’t put away your slow cooker just yet! Why not try using it for a dessert?
There is always time to make dessert in my kitchen and this dish gets me very excited. Slow cooking pears really enhances the flavors. Add that to the combination of spices and you have something simply divine! I have substituted regular sugar for coconut sugar to add another layer of flavor but also to keep this dessert just that little bit healthier.
- 1 bottle of 3 Acres 2012 Pinot Noir
- 150 grames Coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp. Manuka honey
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 2 Star Anise
- 2 Cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 Vanilla Bean, split open
- One strip of lemon peel
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Black Peppercorns
- 1 kilo small Pears (Beurre Bosc or Taylors Gold are best)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Peel your pears, leaving the stalk on.
- Cut a small slice of the bottom so they sit up straight and remain standing.
- Roll your Pears through the Lemon Juice to prevent discoloration.
- Pour the wine in the inside pan of your slow cooker, add coconut sugar, Manuka honey, cinnamon, star anise, cardamom, vanilla bean, lemon peel, cloves and peppercorns. Put the lid on the slow cooker and turn on to high for about 30 minutes. Stir every now and then until the sugar is dissolved.
- Now place the pears into the slow cooker and heat on high for about 2 to 4 hours depending on the size of your pears until they are done.
- Take the pears out of the pan gently and put them in a bowl. Pour the wine into a saucepan and leave to cook on high heat for about 5 to 10 minutes to reduce.
- Make the sauce thicker with a little corn flour if required, diluted with a bit of water.
- Put the pears into the liquid and leave to cool
- Once cooled, place your pear on a large bowl and pour overs a little of the sauce.
- Serve with Vanilla Ice Cream. Yum!
Wine Pairing – Bald Hills 3 Acres Pinot Noir 2012
A little different to our usual wine pair. We are matching this in the dish instead of on the side!