Last weekend we served an Eggplant Masala at our Wine Tasting evening. It was very popular and a wonderful match with our 2007 Central Otago Riesling. The following recipe is a wonderfully easy curry dish that is light enough to enjoy anytime of year.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 4 eggplants
- 1 red chili
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Heat oil in a large frying pan until it shimmers. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and heat about 30 seconds, until they pop.
- Add the sliced onions, and stir occasionally over medium high heat until they caramelize in the oil and take on a nice rich golden brown colour.
- Add the eggplant and fry until the skin is turning brown and the flesh just starts to soften. You may have to add a little more oil.
- Add the chili, coriander, garam masala, tomatoes, and salt and pepper. Turn heat to medium low and cook until the eggplant is soft.
- Add a little water if it is getting too dry but it will be more solid than watery.
- Serve with white rice, spicy Indian lime pickle, and plain full-fat Greek yogurt
This vibrant Central Otago Riesling has only improved with time. It is powerful and full bodied with lingering notes of lime and sweet blossoms. It cuts through the mild heat of this curry and lingers with a refreshing finish.