Long weekends to me are all about brunch (actually every weekend). So todays wine and food match is dedicated to local produce and a weekend tradition. Local free range organic eggs, sage from the garden and the most beautiful Manuka Smoked Salmon from Tekapo, smoked by our local expert Scotty from the Fridge in Cromwell.
Smoked Salmon and Sage Scrambled Eggs with Sour Cream
For your Eggs
- 4 organic free range eggs
- dash of milk
- generous chunk of butter
- 4 sage leaves
- 400-500g of smoked salmon
- Bread of your choice – we love dark rye bread but find a fresh baguette or sourdough also delightful
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl whisk eggs and milk until just combined.
- In a pan, heat the butter and add the sage leaves and cook until they start to brown. Reduce heat and add egg mixture and gently stir to scramble and cook until golden.
- In another bowl mix together lemon, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Slice Salmon and bread into chunky pieces.
- Layer your eggs, salmon and sour cream on top of your bread.
- In an ideal world your husband would have whipped this up for you and will bring it to you in bed with a nice glass of chilled white wine of bubbles.
This wine pops with zingy lime and lemon tones which makes it the ideal match for this dish. Light and minerally, it is the perfect mid day drop and served chilled, simply sublime. Our pick for Labour Weekend bunch.