NZ Pacific Oysters and watermelon & chilli lime dressing
We are lovers of food from the sea especially paired with refreshing asian inspired flavors. The combination makes for the perfect summer entréé or meal. We have teamed up with the wonderful people from New Zealand Nurtured Seafood, and are matching our Central Otago wines to their inspiring Salmon, NZ Pacific Oyster and Green Lipped Mussel recipes. We are starting off with this combination of NZ Pacific Oysters with watermelon, chilli and lime. Let us know what you think?
- Fresh Chilled NZ Pacific ½ Shell Oysters
- 200gms Fresh Watermelon – 10mm thick slices, skin removed.
Chilli Lime Dressing
- 80mls Lime Juice
- 2 Small Red Chilli’s, seeds removed, finely diced
- ½ clove Fresh Garlic – minced
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
Dressing makes enough for 3-4 dozen oysters.
- Pat dry the watermelon with a paper towel, preheat the BBQ hot plate (or heavy based fry pan). Lightly brush the watermelon with a small amount of oil & grill on the hot plate (or in the pan) till slightly charred.
- Remove the melon from the heat & allow to cool, cut the watermelon into medium dices (salsa cut).
- Place a small amount on each oyster & then dress with the lime chilli dressing.
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl, and then whisk to combine, store in an airtight container.
- The smoky flavour of the BBQ matches well with the oysters & the watermelon offers a refreshing balance to the Chilli Lime Dressing.
Thank you to New Zealand Nurtured Seafood for this amazing recipe.
Wine Pairing – Bald Hills 2010 Pinot Gris
The subtle and gentle flavours in our 2010 Pinot Gris wine will not overpower the delicate taste of the oysters. Beautiful refreshing accompanies with the watermelon. A summer sensation!