Autumn is a royal season in our opinion. There’s a plentiful fruit and vegetable supply, with cool mornings and sunny blue-sky days. As the nights draw in and the temperatures drop, we felt it was time to start thinking about dishes with comfort factor. We love a good risotto and this creamy yet fresh little number is a favourite!
- 800g peeled pumpkin
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 Tbsp coconut oil
- 400g arborio rice
- 200ml white wine at room temperature (Bald Hills Riesling if you can spare a drop)
- 1.5 litres chicken stock, warmed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 70g butter, cubed
- 150g grated parmesan
- Sage leaves
- Crumbled amaretti cookies
1. Cut half the pumpkin flesh into 1cm cubes and chop the rest coarsely.
2. Soften onion in 3 Tbsp oil over a medium heat in a large saucepan or frying pan. Add the rice and rough-chopped pumpkin and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Pour in wine and cook, still stirring, over a low heat until it is absorbed.
4. Gradually add stock, one cupful or ladleful at a time, stirring constantly until it is absorbed.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the rice is tender and the mixture creamy, about 20 minutes.
6. Saute pumpkin cubes in the remaining oil until soft. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Stir butter and parmesan into rice. Top with the pumpkin cubes and sprinkle with sage and ameretti cookie crumbs.
Wine Pairing – Bald Hills Last Light Riesling 2009
Our Central Otago Riesling is moreish but dry and is the perfect match to this creamy risotto. It is long and pure with a mineral finish. The perfect balance alongside the pumpkin and parmesan cheese in this dish.