A kiwi classic – the fitter. It seems to be coming more and more popular however to create gluten free options for some of our staple favourite – and rightly so as gluten can cause a lot of digestive health trouble in some people. So we are giving this a go with the trust corn fritter!
- ⅛ cup coconut flour
- ⅛ cup white rice flour
- ½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin seeds
- pinch salt
- ¼ cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 ear corn, kernels only
- ¼ red capsicum, diced
- 1 sprig spring (green) onions, disced finley
- coconut oil for frying
- ½ avocado, cut into wedges
- 1 branch truss tomatoes, cooked under the grill for 5 minutes
- a few coriander leaves
- grated cheese or macadamia nuts
- Sift flours and spices into a medium bowl. In a separate bowl or jug whisk together water and eggs until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture into the flour bowl and mix well to combine. Add corn, chopped capsicum and spring onions. Mix well.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Using a ¼ cup spring-loaded ice cream scoop or spoon, ladle the batter into the hot oil, flattening out into rounds. https://www.baldhills.co.nz/2014/09/food-wine-pairing-recipe-of-the-week-gluten-and-dairy-free-corn-fritters/Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Flip carefully and cook for another 2 or so minutes, or until browned.
- Serve hot (or cold) with roasted tomatoes, avocado wedges, coriander leaves and a little grated cheese or macadamia nuts.
Wine Pairing – Bald Hills Friends and Lovers 2014 Central Otago Rosé
This fresh spring drop will match beautifully with a range of spring and summer produce. The peach, cherry and strawberry aromas give the fritters a wonderful lift and the combination dances on your palate. Mouth watering stuff!